A Rich History of Compassionate Health Care
Health care had its origins in Edgerton in 1920, in a small two-story home owned by Edith Lockwood, a registered nurse. The personal hometown care rendered by Lockwood became the hallmark of health care that has continued in the Edgerton, Milton and surrounding areas for over 80 years. She believed it was important to give of herself and her resources to provide personal health care for others, and it was that message that the Service Star Legion used as the cornerstone of the first hospital to serve the area. These volunteers created a community-owned, non-stock, tax-exempt corporation in January 1921 and raised funds for the construction of the original red brick hospital on a hill west of downtown Edgerton in August 1923. The name given to the new hospital was Memorial Hospital (‘Community’ was added later) in honor of the World War I servicemen and women. From the very start, the intention was to make the hospital a place where patients could obtain personalized health care and also feel at home by providing a sense of peace and community, which was initially enhanced with the addition of a porch that spanned the entire end of the building with a view of the rural countryside.
Nearly 36 years later, Memorial Community Hospital had its first major facility expansion, which was funded by the contributions of many individuals. The facility was expanded to include new emergency and operating rooms, radiology and a laboratory. In 1970, a new building expanded the number of beds and added the rehabilitation and dietary departments, and also permitted development of space into a long-term care nursing home. In the 1980’s, Home Health Care and a swing bed program were added and a two-story addition was built, which increased the size of the Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit.
Over the years, Memorial Community Hospital has offered many services and provided compassionate health care to countless patients. In December 2005, the hospital’s official name was changed to Edgerton Hospital and Health Services, Inc. to better identify the more inclusive nature of all the services offered to area communities, and, in 2008, the hospital and Care Center agreed to part ways, allowing the Care Center to have a 501(c)(3) non-profit status of its own.
Now, as Edgerton Hospital, we have affiliated with SSM Health Care of Wisconsin to strengthen our expertise and expand the opportunities we offer our patients. Our new critical access hospital, which opened in 2011, has 18 beds, is green built and offers the community a true Healthy Village.
We have come a long way since 1920, and we’re pleased to say that the future of health care for our local communities is bright!